Bran castle - Braşov

Eliznik home > Romania > photo galleries > Transylvania > Bran castle - Braşov

The Teutonic Knights built a wooden castle here in 1212, which was later taken over by the Braşov Saxon's to protect their trade route from Wallachia to Transylvania. After being damaged by Ottoman Turks in 1370 the castle was re-built, with further towers being added during the 14th to 17th century.

It became the border post for the Hapsburg Empire from 1836. In 1921 Queen Marie refurbished the castle into a royal palace which was used until the abdication of King Michael in 1947. 

 

© Eliznik2005, First issue 2002, Last updated Nov-05