This is the hilltop citadel overlooking the city of Deva. The name Deva is thought to come from the ancient Dacian word "dava" meaning fortress or citadel.
A fortress was Roman built by the Romanian and was re-built in the 13th century as a defence against Mongol attacks. It was re-built again during the 15th century by the Romanian Voivode (Duke) Iancu de Hunedoara (also known as Ioannus Corvinus or Janos Hunyadi) to be the strongest fort in Transylvania, and was enlarged in the 16th century following being besieging by the Ottomans.
In 1849 the armoury blew up destroying all but the ramparts and Barracks.