Râşnov - Braşov

Eliznik home > Romania > photo galleries > Saxon Transylvania > Râşnov - Braşov

The village of Râşnov (Rosenau) was founded in 1225 by the  Saxons. Above the village is a ruined fort built by the Teutonic Knights following the Tartar invasion of 1241.

From the 14th century this fortress was used as a place of refuge against the Tartar (1335), Hungarian (1612) and Turkish (1690) sieges.

The fortress was damaged by fire in 1718 and rebuilt, then damaged by an earthquake in 1802, and was last used during the revolution of 1848.

 

© Eliznik2005, First issue 2002, Last updated Nov-05