The Roman-Catholic St Michael's cathedral was built in the place of the chapel of St Jacob. The oldest remaining part is the alter, from the first building probably started when the settlement officially became a town in 1316 and Saxon's were invited to settle there.
The main building was finished in the 15th century, with the neo-gothic tower being built in 1860.
The early Saxon identity of Klausenburg was replaced by Kolozsvár becoming the most important Hungarian centre in Transylvania. The Cathedral is surrounded by the previous residences of the wealthy Transylvanian nobility.
In front is a 1902 statue by János Fadrusz of Matthias Corvinus, the son of John Hunyadi (Iancu de Hunedoara), who became King of Hungarian (1458-1490).